Follow Us @soratemplates

Thursday, December 8

Book Talk | Shadow And Bone


Title: Shadow and Bone 
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Page Count: 358
Genre: YA, Fantasy 
Goodreads Rating: 4.6 
My Rating: 4
Book Cover Rating: 4.5
Bad Book Review: Rhysand go back to your own book.

Review Type: Spoiler free
Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
I got this book at the bookstore a few weeks ago, after I'd read amazing things about it literally everywhere. I have to be honest and say that at the moment I got this, I had absolutely no idea what it was about or what to expect, I just knew it is a fantasy novel that takes place in Russia and there is some guy called the Darkling.

First of all the world. I was wrong, apparently. This does not take place in Russia, but in some world that is very alike to it. I enjoyed the lands that Leigh created, but was kinda sad that there wasn't much world building. We didn't really get history on the lands or why everybody hates each other. Besides what we also didn't get much backstory on the characters, which was a shame to me, but hopefully that'll come in the following books.



Let's talk about the characters now. I really liked our protagonist Alina. I hate it when the ''I just discovered that I have powers and am immediately amazing at using them'' trope happens. Fortunately in this book that wasn't the case. Alina really struggled with finding her place with the Grisha and had a hard time even summoning her magic. Besides this she doesn't have a lot of conficence and is very sarcasti; a character I can relate to.

Next is Mal, Alina's childhood friend. I don't know why this always happens to me in books, but I just didn't really care about him. I would have loved to get some more backstory from him, which is why I usually prefer reading books with multiple POVs, that way I can care about the characters we follow so much more. 

But let's get to the person we all love the most: The Darkling. I had heard about him and let me say that I was not disappointed. The Darkling is basically Rhysand from A Court Of Thrones And Roses (sorry not sorry), only a little younger. We know I always fall in love with the bad guys in book and this was no exception. I love how dark and mysterious he is and I am dying to learn more about him. Oh and to answer what you are clearly wondering: do I ship The Darkling and Alina? OF COURSE I DO I WANT THEM TO HAVE BEAUTIFUL BABIES.


I highly enjoyed the general storyline. It was very fast pased and had a lot of fun scenes. Usually I don't read very fast, but if I had wanted to, I could have finished this book in a single day, which has never happened to me before.
But like I already said before and the main reason why I have this book a 4 stars and not 4.5 or even 5: I felt like there is so much information just missing. I want to know more about the history of these lands and about the characters. What happened to Mal and Alina when they were orphans, how did Alina's parents die? Why didn't they find out she was a Grisha? How did the Darkling get so powerful? So many unanswered questions.


Favorite Quotes
''The Darkling slumped back in his chair. ''Fine,'' he said with a weary shrug. ''Make me your villain.''
~
''I've been waiting for you a long time Alina,'' he said. ''You and I are going to change the world.''
~
 ''There is nothing wrong with being a lizard either, unless you were born to be a hawk.''
~
''The thought filled me with grief, grief for the dreams we'd shared, for the love that I'd felt, for the hopeful girl I would never be again.''

~ Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment